As we move into the summer season, I’d like to share some updates and news. Below are a few items of interest—please let me know if you have questions or comments.
* New Beginnings Process – I reported in the newsletter last month that we had received the report of our group facilitators. Based on what we heard in the small groups, there was a clear consensus on a new emphasis: Living out our Christian faith by caring for the world on God’s behalf. The Session has established an Implementation Team to work on the details of living out this new call. If you would like to be involved, please contact me, Flo Lilley, or Bill Henderson.
* Sanctuary Renovation and Restoration – Our historic 1799 sanctuary is in remarkably good condition given its age. However, we have known for several years that there are some problems at the base of the Spire, that the roof is aging, and that the exterior woodwork needs updating and repair. Our architect, C. Michael Campbell, reported at the May Session meeting that he has completed his drawings and plans and we are now in the process of bidding out the work. We expect the restoration work to begin this summer and it should take 2-3 months to complete.
* Summer Worship Schedule - Like last year, we will have a full summer of worship here at South Church. The Worship and Parish Life Committee anticipates that we will move Sunday worship to the Church House Auditorium on June 11 and remain there for the summer. We will have two short sermon series this summer—six weeks on Ephesians and the five weeks on the book of Revelation. More details on both series can be found inside this newsletter.
* Vacation Bible School It’s time for VBS—the week of June 26 from 5:30-8:00 pm at Clinton Avenue Reformed Church. The theme for this year is “Maker Fun Factory—Created by God, Built for a Purpose.” Volunteers are always welcome and needed, so please consider helping out. More information is available on page ___.
* Old Manse sale: We have run into an unexpected roadblock with the prospective buyer of the old Manse property/subdivision in regard issues with the title. It’s not clear at this time when this will be resolved. The Session is also considering another proposal that would involve a lease agreement. Look for more news soon.
Please have a safe and enjoyable summer!
Grace and peace, Mark